To celebrate Bubs' parent/teacher conference and getting a good news phone call from his principal about how he has really shown some great leadership skills at school, I promised him on Saturday we could go see a movie, out to dinner and he could pick out something from a store. The husband was working shift on Saturday, so it was the kids, my friend, Ms. Melissa (or Ms. Lissa, as the kids call her) and of course me, the mom, that went out to celebrate.
We went to see The Lorax, which might I add, is a fabulous movie with a great message and killer music. The music was so good that Griddles spent roughly 75% of the movie standing up so she could "drop it like it's hot" and shake her tail feather. After the movie we ventured over to Taco Del Mar for dinner. Bubs ordered Chips and Cheese. Unfortunately, it was just that, chips and cheese. But that is what he wanted, so I let him order it.
Once the "nutritious" dinner was over we went to Big Lots to walk around and see what deals they had. Bubs picked out an alarm clock so he could wake himself up for school and swimming lessons on Saturdays. He says he is a man now and should be able to get up without me having to "yell" at him. I was down for that.
Of course I had to look for "bento" containers. I have a problem, and I am the first one to admit it, I always look for "bento" stuff when I go to stores, it is a sick obsession.
I did find this awesome container, which I of course do not use for its intended purpose. This is meant for carrots and dip. However, I thought it would be awesome for Bubs' lunch, especially when he has yogurt, applesauce, or something else that involves a covered container. I may have to go get more of these.
In this Bento:
*EnviroKids Crispy Rice Bar
*Yogurt with sprinkles
*2 gluten free hazelnut wafer cookies
*2 mini egg frittatas (ham/cheese and turkey sausage/cheese, picture and recipe below)
After School Snack:
*Annie's bunny fruit snacks
*Notice the yogurt part has its own lid, so cool!
*New container from Big Lots
After School Snack:
*Bob the Builder square container from the $1 store
Mini Egg Frittatas:
*4 eggs (or 1 cup egg substitute)
*Diced ham or sausage crumbles
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
2. Spray a mini muffin tin (12 muffins) with cooking spray.
3. Beat eggs in glass measuring cup (easy for pouring), or measure out 1 cup egg substitute.
4. Place 1/2 tablespoon of diced ham or sausage crumbles in the bottom of each muffin cup.
5. Sprinkle shredded cheese on top of meat.
6. Pour egg into each muffin cup about 3/4th full.
7. Bake in oven for 10-12 minutes. They will be super puffy when they come out, but they will deflate a bit when cooled.
8. Serve immediately, or let cool, place in airtight container in fridge for quick breakfasts, or place in freezer safe container and freeze for use later. Heat some in the microwave for breakfast to go, or defrost for lunches later.